In the initial stage of the establishment of the department, it was named as Department of Mathematics and it came into existence in October, 1958. It had started with a modest and impressive beginning and has grown into a grand Department of Mathematics and Statistics. A renowned mathematician Padmashree Prof. R.S. Mishra was the first Professor of Mathematics who joined the Department whose academic endeavours led to all-round development of the department.
Prof. R.P. Agarwal,another eminent mathematician, succeeded Prof. Mishra in September, 1963. Underthe able guidance of Prof. R.S. Mishra and Prof. R.P. Agrawal, the Departmentof Mathematics developed into an important‘Centre of Research’ in the fields of Theory of Relativity, Differential Geometry, Fluid Dynamics, Special Functions & Summability Theory.
Statistics as a full-fledged and separate subject was introduced in the academic session1970-71 at the Under-Graduate level and the teaching of Statistics at the Post-Graduate level was started in the session 1982-83. As a consequence, the department was rechristened as the Department of Mathematics and Statistics in 1970.
At the initiative ofProf. B.G. Verma, an academic body (society) named as National Academy of Mathematics, India was founded in the year 1983to promote mathematical training and research. A research journal named ‘Journal of the National Academy of Mathematics, India was started to publish research papers on Mathematics and Statistics.
At present, there are 13 faculty members and 3Non-Teaching Staff working in thedepartment.
Listof Faculty Members:
Prof. Sudhir Kumar Srivastava
Differential Geometry, General Relativity
Prof. Vijai Shanker Verma
Mathematical Modelling, Bio Mathematics
Prof. Vijay Kumar
Professor and Head
Computational Statistics, Computing with R, Probability Distributions
Prof. Uma Srivastava
Bayesian Inference, Reliability, Engg. Statistics
Prof. Himanshu Pandey
Technical Demography, Operation Research, Applied Statistics
Dr. Rajesh Pandey
Dr. Archana Singh Bhadauria
Dr. Rajesh Kumar
General Relativity, Cosmology
Dr. Gyanvendra Pratap Singh
Dr. Vikash Rana
Dr. Julee Srivastava
Dr. Jitendra Kumar Kushwaha
Dr. Vivek Kumar Sharma
Listof Non-Teaching Staff
Shri Bhim Sen
Shri Santosh Kumar
Shri Akhilesh Pandey
Library:TheDepartment has a Library for PG and Research students containing thousands of booksand journals. The library is partially funded by NBHM also.
ComputerLab: The department has well-equipped three Computer Labswith 30 PCs with internet facilities. Thedepartment has perpetual version of MATLAB and MATHEMATICA Software.
ThrustAreas of Research:
Talent contests and lectures as well asnational and international conferences and workshops are organized from time totime in the Department. The department has energetic and dedicated facultymembers who are actively involved in research areas: Theory of Relativity, Cosmology,Differential Geometry, Differentiable Manifolds, Mathematical Analysis, Number Theory, Fuzzy Sets, FuzzyOptimization, Operations Research, Differential Equations, Fluid Dynamics,Wavelet Analysis, Numerical Methods, Mathematical Modelling, Biomathematics,Information Theory, Reliability Theory, Stochastic Modelling, StatisticalInference, Bayesian Inference, Demography, Machine Learning, Data Analysis,etc. Presently about 60 research scholars are pursuing their research workunder the able guidance of the faculty members. The department has to itscredit produced so far about 300 Ph.D. scholars and 3 Post-Doctoral Fellows.Also, about 2000 research papers and 200 books have been published by thefaculty members of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics.
As a mile stone, the department wasawarded the status of Center ofExcellence by the U.P. Government in 2019 for its excellent research andacademic activities.
The faculty members have also completeda numbers of major research projects funded by UGC, CSIR, DST, CST-UP, NBHM andother Government funding agencies. At Present, two Major research projects funded by CST-UP and UP Government arerunning in the department.
List of Head of Department Time-line
1. Prof. R.S. Mishra 1958 - 1963
2. Prof. R.P. Agarwal 1963 - 1966
3. Prof. K.B. Lal 1966 - 1979
4. Prof. B.G. Verma 1979 - 1985
5. Prof. U.P. Singh 1985 - 1991
6. Prof. H.D. Pandey 1991 - 2001
7. Prof. C.M. Prasad 2001 - 2002
8. Prof. V.P. Ojha 2002 - 2003
9. Prof. A.A. Ansari 2003 - 2007
10. Prof. H. S. Shukla 21.06.2007 - 19.12.2007
11. Prof. A. A. Ansari 20.12.2007 - 02.07.2008
12. Prof. H. S. Shukla 03.07.2008 - 02.07.2011
13. Prof. R. S. Srivastava 03.07.2011 - 31.12.2013
14. Prof. R.C. Srivastava 01.01.2014 - 19.03.2015
15. Prof. J.P. Vishwakarma 20.03.2015 - 04.01.2017
16. Prof. S.K. Srivastava 05.01.2017 - 04.01.2020
17. Prof. V. S. Verma 05.01.2020 - 20.12.2021
18. Prof. Vijay Kumar 20.12.2021 - tilldate
Mission of the Department
The mission of theDepartment of Mathematics & Statistics is to contribute to the overallobjectives of Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gorakhpur University and its affiliatedcolleges through excellence in research and teaching in Mathematical Sciencesand through informal discussions and other social services to the teachingcommunity, professionals, and society at large.
Vision of the Department
The vision of theDepartment of Mathematics & Statistics is to promote and support a comprehensive,innovative, and dynamic learning environment. The main vision of the Departmentis to become world class facility centre in the area of Mathematical Sciencesnationally and internationally through Post-Graduate Courses, ResearchExpertise, Publications, and Resources in Mathematical Sciences and tocater the requirements of users ofMathematical Sciences in various fields. Besides teaching, one of theremarkable activities of the Department has been the vigorous research studiesdone by the faculty members and the research scholars in both Pure and Applied Mathematicsas well as Statistics.
· Seminars are conducted for PG and PhDstudents of both the subjects Mathematics and Statistics on alternate Saturdaysto enhance their presentation skill/knowledge in mathematical sciences.
· Weekly classes on Mathematical Sciencesare conducted to encourage the UG and PG students for various competitiveexamination such as IIT-JAM, CSIR and GATEetc.
· Parent-Teacher meetings are organized fromtime to time in the department.
· National/International Conferences are organised every year during the month of October- Novemberto share the knowledge on latest research updates amongst Mathematics communityand to establish research collaboration with other institute/university.
· Every year on 22nd December,the Department celebrates National Mathematics Day. On this occasion, manyactivities such as mathematics-quiz, poster-presentation, and special lecturesare organized.
· The department provides following four scholarships/prizefor PG students in every academic session:
(i) Padamshree Professor R. S. MishraMemorial scholarship
(ii) Professor K.B. Lal Memorial scholarship
(iii) Professor Ram Nivas Memorial Scholarship
(iv) Pandit Harihar Prasad Dubey Memorialscholarship
Teaching-Learning Process is a combined processwhere a teacher assesses learning needs, establishes specific learningobjectives, develops teaching and learning strategies, implements plan of workand evaluates the outcomes of the instruction.
The comprehensive course outline enables thestudents to enhance mathematical & statistical skills, data analysis, computationalskills, and machine learning skills. The teaching-learning process develops theability to think critically, logically and analytically thereby preparing thestudents to enhanced career opportunities in Research& Development (R &D), Information technology (IT), Commerce Industries (CI), etc. So, for all thecourses, we have
· Learning outcomes and objectives of eachcourse defined clearly.
· Question/Test papers as well as anycomponents related to grading set according to the learning outcomes defined inthe course.
· Course structure, preparation and deliveryplans created by the concerned faculty members.
Community Services and Outreach
Outreachfor Department of Mathematics and Statistics is an activity that enhances theteaching and learning of Mathematics and Statistics outside the department. The department also performs the followingoutreach activities to explore the discourses of Mathematics and Statistics inthe following sophisticated ways:
· Organizing mathematics training programsfor the school and college teachers
· Organizing training programmes/lectureseries on scientific computing and data analysis for the researchers in fieldof Economics, Social Sciences, Life Sciences, Engineering and Technology aswell in Commerce, Trades and Industries etc.