1. Name of the Department: Philosophy
2. Year of establishment : 1973,as Independent Dept.-1957
3. Is the Department part of aSchool/Faculty of the university? Yes, Faculty of Arts.
4. Names of Programmes / Coursesoffered (UG, PG, M.Phil., Ph.D., Integrated
Masters;Integrated Ph.D., etc.) U.G., P.G. Research (Ph.D.), P.G. Diploma in Yoga,
5. Interdisciplinary courses anddepartments involved : P.G. Diploma inYoga, (Post Graduate Course)
6. Courses in collaboration with otheruniversities, industries, foreign institutions : Academic Collaboration With NEHU Shilong.
7. Details of programmes /courses discontinued, if any, with reasons : No
8. Annual/ Semester/Choice BasedCredit System : Annual/Semester/CBCS-2019-20Session.
9. Participation of the department inthe courses offered by other departments: P.G.Diploma in Yoga
10. Number of teaching postssanctioned and filled
11. Faculty profile with name,qualification, designation and specialization (D.Sc./D.Litt./ Ph.D./M.Phil.,etc.)
No. of Years of Experience
No. of Ph.D. students
Prof. Dwarka Nath
Indian Philosophy, Ethics, Socio-Political Philosophy, Comparative Religion, Existentialism, Philosophy of Gandhi
Pro Prof. C.P. Srivastava
Indian, Western & Contemporary Western Philosophy, Logic
Prof. D.N. Yadav
M.A., Ph.D., D.Lit
Western Philosophy, Kant, Logic, Philosophy of Science
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Ram
Western Philosophy, Social Philosophy, Ethics
Dr. Ramesh Chand
Indian Philosophy, Indian Epistemology, Logic
12.List of senior Visiting Fellows, faculty, adjunct faculty, emeritus professors:No
13. Percentage of classes takenby temporary faculty – programme-wise information: No
14. Programme-wise StudentTeacher Ratio: PG-120 : 40:01, UG-400:04,100:04
15. Number of academic supportstaff (technical) and administrative staff: sanctioned and filled
Technical : No
Administrative staff : 02
16. Research thrust areasrecognized by funding agencies: UGC(Shri Aurbindo)
17. Number of faculty withongoing projects from a) national b) international funding
agencies and c) Total grantsreceived. Give the names of the funding agencies and
grants received project-wise. : NIL
18. Inter-institutionalcollaborative projects and grants received : No
a) All India collaboration b)International
19. Departmental projects fundedby DST-FIST; UGC-SAP/CAS, DPE; DBT, ICSSR,
etc.; total grants received. : No
20. Research facility / centrewith
· nationalrecognition : UGC
21. Special research laboratoriessponsored by / created by industry or corporate bodies: No
* Number of paperspublished in peer reviewed journals (national / international) Total=10,
Prof. Dwarka Nath-06,
Prof. D.N. Yadav-04.
* Chapters inBooks
* Edited Books
* Books with ISBNwith details of publishers :
Title of the book
Year of publication
Name of the publisher
Rationality, Science and Theology
Prof Deep Narayan Yadav
Darshana Publication Bhagalpur (Bihar)
Bauddhikata, Vigyan evam Dharmamimamsa
Darshana Publication, Bhagalpur (Bhihar)
* Number listed inInternational Database (For e.g. Web of Science, Scopus,
Humanities InternationalComplete, Dare Database - International Social
Sciences Directory, EBSCO host,etc.)
* Citation Index –range / average
* Impact Factor –range / average
23. Details of patents and incomegenerated: NA
24. Areas of consultancy andincome generated: NIL
25. Faculty selected nationally/internationally to visit other laboratories in India and
abroad: Not Applicable
26. Faculty serving in: D.D.U.Gorakhpur University, Gorakhpur
27. Faculty recharging strategies:Refresher Course, Orientation Course& National Seminar
28. Student projects: No
29. Awards / recognitionsreceived at the national and international level by:
· Doctoral / postdoctoral fellows/D.Lit : 01 Dr. PraveenGupta
30. Seminars/Conferences/Workshopsorganized and the source of funding (national/ International) with details ofoutstanding participants, if any.
Name of the Seminar
Source of Funding
1. National Seminar-Yoga Science & Religion
2. National Seminar-The Problems of Mechanism and Teleology
Sep.-15, 16, 17-2017
Name of the workshop
31. Code of ethics for researchfollowed by the departments : Anti Plagarism Methods Work in research is going on.
32. Student profile course-wise:
Name of the Course
(2014-15 to 2018-19) Five Year
33. Diversity ofstudents:
Name of the
Students from the
% of students from other universities
within the State
% of students
From other countries
34. How many students have cleared CivilServices and Defense Services examinations, NET, SET, GATE and othercompetitive examinations? Give details category-wise.
Name of the Ph.D Student
Sanjay Kumar Prajapati
Ajay Kumar Yadav
1. Sanjeev Kumar, OBC, Food Inspector in U.P.Government.
2. Sunil Kumar Patel, OBC, STO in U.P. Government.
3. Smt. Rekha Mishra, GEN, Auditor in U.P. Government.
35. Student progression
Studentprogression Percentage against enrolled
UG to PG 120
PG to M.Phil. Nil
PG to Ph.D. 11
Ph.D. to Post-Doctoral Nil
· Campus selection
· Other thancampus recruitment Entrepreneurs
Hitesh Kumar Singh
Higher Education- Assistant Professor
36. Diversity of staff :
Percentage offaculty who are graduates-
of the same university : 04, A.K. Singh, C.P. Srivastava, S.K.Tiwari, Dwarka Nath
from other universities withinthe State: Smt. Lakshmi Saxena, Dr. Sabhajit Mishra, M.M. Trivedi, D.N. Yadav, Sanjay Kumar Ram,Ramesh Chandra.-06
from universities from otherStates: No
from universities outside thecountry: No
37. Number of faculty who wereawarded Ph.D., D.Sc. and D.Litt. during the assessment period : No. All faculty members were awarded Ph.D.before 2014.
38. Present details ofinfrastructural facilities with regard to
a) Library : Yes
b) Internet facilities for staffand students: No, Work is going on.
c) Total number of class rooms : 06
d) Class rooms with ICT facility: NA
e) Students‘ laboratories : NA
f) Research laboratories : NA
39. List of doctoral,post-doctoral students and Research Associates
a) from the host university : 11
b) from other universities : Nil
40. Number of post graduatestudents getting financial assistance from the university: NIL
41. Was any need assessmentexercise undertaken before the development of new programme(s)? If so,highlight the methodology. NIL
42. Does the department obtainfeedback from:
a. faculty oncurriculum as well as teaching-learning-evaluation? If yes, how does
the department utilize thefeedback? Curriculum of U.G. & P.G.Course Revised
b. students onstaff, curriculum and teaching-learning-evaluation and how does
the department utilize thefeedback? No
c. alumni andemployers on the programmes offered and how does the department
utilize the feedback?
43. Listthe distinguished alumni of the department (maximum 10)
1. Dr.Mahadev Prasad
2. Prof.J.S. Srivastava
3. Prof.B.B. Singh
4. Prof.Indu Bhushan Pandey
5. Prof.Sabhajeet Mishra
6. Prof.A.K. Singh
7. Prof.Madan Mohan Trivedi
8. Prof.K.C. Pandey
44. Give details of studentenrichment programmes (special lectures / workshops /seminar) involvingexternal experts: Special Lectures
45. List the teaching methodsadopted by the faculty for different programmers: Lecture
46. How does the departmentensure that programme objectives are constantly met and
learning outcomes are monitored?: As feedback mentioned above
47. Highlight the participationof students and faculty in extension activities. Seminar, Conference, & other activities
48. Give details of ―beyondsyllabus scholarly activities‖ of the department. Organized some lectures on different topics and refresher courses.
49. State whether the programme/department is accredited/ graded by other agencies?
If yes, give details. : Yes, B+ by NAAC 2006-07
50. Briefly highlight thecontributions of the department in generating new knowledge,
basic or applied. :
1. Revised thesyllabus of U.G., P.G. Philosophy and Post Graduate Piploma in Yoga.
2. Organized Seminar on diffrent topics.
3. Organized Special Lectures.
51. Detail any five Strengths,Weaknesses, Opportunities and Challenges (SWOC) of the department.
1.Able Faculty Members
2.Good Research Works
3.Library and Co-operation among faculty members & students.
5.P.G. Diploma in Yoga.
1. NoInternet facilities.
2. NoSmart Class and No Conference Room in the department and no. equipments to takeonline classes.
4. Oneposition of Office assistant not so for filled so for and No permanent peon.
5. Lackof faculty members, 5 position of Teachers not filled (Vacant)
1. P.G.Diploma in Yoga.
2. Availabilityof teaching jobs.
3. P.G.& U.G. Syllabus according to NET & Civil Service Examinations.
Challenges-1.Lack of job potentials in comparison to other subject
2. Crisis of ethical values in society,which is directly affecting in some subjects including philosophy.
3. Special financial support andassistance to propogate and impart value oriented education and training.
52. Future plansof the department:
To establish an independent buildingof department of Philosophy and its Yoga centre and Pursue UGC to getinterested in granting the DSA/SAP to the department. To develop conferencehall & a computer lab for the department so that reason and teachers haveaccess to online communication and presentation.
Department of Philosophy
D.D.U. Gorakhpur University,Gorakhpur
About The Department
The Department of Philosophy, Since its inception in1958, is an important part of the Faculty of Arts. In the beginning it waslinked with the Department of Psychology for administrative purposes. TheDepartment of Philosophy as an Independent Department came into existence in1973. Prof. (Dr.) Smt. Lakshmi Saxena was the founder Head of the Deptt. andunder her dynamic Leadership the reputation of the Department as the centre ofresearch and learning spread all over India. Eminent Professors from Hungry,Ottawa, Shanghai etc. visited and delivered lectures in the Deptt. TheDepartment has made significant contribution in the field of Existentialism,Phenomenology, Wittgenstein, Kant, Vedant, Buddhism, Vivekanand, Gandhi,Aurobindo, Paramahansa Yoganand and different schools of Indian and WesternPhilosophy as well as in the field of Logic. The Department of Philosophy hasbeen Consistently moving towards excellence under the following Heads of the DepartmentLate Prof. (Smt.) Lakshmi Saxena, Prof Sabhajeet Mishra, Late M.M. Trivedi,Prof. A. K. Singh, Prof. C.P. Srivastav, Prof. D. N. Yadav and Prof. DwarkaNath, the present Head of the Department.
TheDepartment of Philosophy offers U.G. and P.G. Courses along with a Post GraduateDiploma in Yoga. Several research scholars are working under the guidance ofthe present faculty members, out of them many research scholars are U.G.C. andI.C.P.R. fellows.
Heads ofThe Department
Name From To
1. Prof. Smt.L. Saxena 01.01.1973- 30.06.1990
2. Prof. S.Mishra 01.07.1990- 30.06.2002
3. Prof. M.M.Trivedi 01.07.2002- 02.07.2008
4. Prof. A.K.Singh 03.07.2008- 02.07.2011
5. Prof. C.P.Srivastava 03.07.2011- 30.07.2013
6. Dean,Faculty of Arts 31.07.2013- 03.07.2014
7. Prof. C.P.Srivastava 04.07.2014- 07.06.2015
8. Prof. D.N.Yadav 08.06.2015- 07.06.2018
9. Prof.Dwarka Nath 08.06.2018
1. Prof. DwarkaNath
Specialization : Ethics, Comparative Religion,Indian Philosophy, Social Philosophy & Gandhi.
2. Dr. Sanjay Kumar Ram(Assistant Professor)
Specialization : Social Philosophy, WesternPhilosophy, Aesthetics.
3. Dr. Ramesh Chand (AssistantProfessor)
Specialization : Indian Philosophy, Kant, Ethics.
Ø Programmes offered
Ø Graduation (B.A.)
No. ofSeats- 500
Ø Post Graduation (M.A.)
No. ofSeats- 60+06+06=72
Ø P.G. Diploma in Yoga
ProposedNew Programmes/Course For Session 2021-2022
M.A. IN YOGA
P.G. DIPLOMA IN YOGA
CERTIFICATE COURSE IN YOGA
CERTIFICATE COURSE IN NATH-PANTHA
YOGA STUDY AND PRACTICE COURSE (YOGA FOR HEALTH)
SARAL YOGA (SY)
P.G. DIPLOMA IN NATH PANTH